Ep54: How to Become a Successful CG Freelancer, with Jonathan Lax
We will talk about:
- How much to charge for your services
- What to do when you're not getting work
- Making freelancing work for you
Jonathan Lax started Gecko Animation Studios 3 years ago, along with well known blender user; Ben Simonds. Together they've done work for the BBC, Channel 4, 2K games and more. This is the first job they did, using Blender's (at the time) beta camera and object tracking tools. Very impressive!
In this post, Jonathan answers common freelancing questions:
- How much to charge for your work?
- What to do when you can't find work?
- How to give an accurate time estimation?
- Should you have a contract before starting work?
As well as how to avoid some common mistakes and other advice for anyone getting started.
Are you a freelancer? What tips would you offer to someone hoping to get started? Post in the comments below.