Ep63: Creating 'Emotional' Renders
We will talk about:
- Why Adding Emotion is Very Crucial to Art
- The 3 Categories of Emotion
- How Color Can Influence Emotion
If your image isn't conveying emotion to the viewer, it's not art. Art that conveys strong emotions get more attention, are shared more and get more eyeballs watching it. Hence why it's so important for your career.
In this post, we discuss the 3 Categories of Emotions and how you can utilize these on your renders:
1. Knowledge Emotions
Interest: A new experience. Complex, unfamiliar but understandable.
Confusion: Opposite of interest. Cannot understand, but you want to. Example:
Surprise: Disruptive. Unexpected, but understandable.
2. Hostile Emotions
Deliberate attempts by the artist to proke the viewer into anger, aggression and contempt. NOT RECOMMENDED
Example: Piss Christ.
3. Self-conscious Emotions
Reflect upon the viewers actions. Like Pride, shame, regret and embarrassment.
Sublime feelings: Aesthetic appreciation. Connected to happiness or fear.
Aesthetic Chills: Awe. Feeling touched or absorbed.
Example, Saturn Scene from Interstellar (no video yet available)
Links mentioned on the post:
- Wikipedia: Emotion and Art
- Multitasking and Why it's Impossible
- Audio Library from YouTube
- The Secret Language of Color
- Top Blender Artists Article by Reynante
- Free Blender Files by Reynante
Got a question for next week? Use #bgpod on twitter.