In this tutorial you will discover:
- The core fundamentals of good lighting
- Some common lighting mistakes
- Why shadows are equally as important as light
Ever find yourself placing lamps randomly in the hopes your scene will look good? You’re not alone.
Lighting is a pretty daunting topic if you don’t understand the theory. Most people can differentiate between a good lighting system and a bad one, but few people know why.
To understand lighting you need to know the theory. If you’re against theory then you should probably skip along to another tutorial. Because when it comes to lighting, knowing the theory is vital.
Don’t like long videos? Here’s a summary…
The Three-Point Lighting System
Other lighting systems
More examples of lighting applications
Hands on demo of the Three-Point Lighting System:
Feel free to use the fruit bowl scene to explore other lighting methods
Interested in learning more about lighting? Check out these links and books:
- Lighting Tips from the Masters – Blender artist Ben Simonds, shows how lighting is used in movies and how to use similar techniques in blender
- Digital Lighting and Rendering – An invaluable book that should be on every artists bookshelf. Just buy it.
- Three-Point Lighting Wikipedia entry - More information on the popular lighting system
Make something cool based off this tutorial? Post it in the comments below!Mastering Lighting,