Beorn Leonard was a character animator on Sintel, Happy Feet 2 and most recently the Lego movie.
In this interview we discuss:
- How he went from puppet making to CG
- How Blender first got his attention
- His first animated short A sad, sad song
- Experiences working with Ton and the Sintel crew
- How he got hired for The Lego movie
- Experiences working in a production environment
- Why artists should be split into groups of 8 for production work
- Why Blender is actually really good for character animation
- The importance of a compelling story
- The stupidity of software flame wars
- Gooseberry worries and possible outcomes
- Advice for anyone wanting to break into the industry
Plus Q&A at the end. Oh and the book that I mentioned but couldn’t remember the name of was Ignore Everyone. Highly recommend reading it. I’ll probably do a podcast on this alone in the future.
Hope you enjoyed it! Anyone else you’d like me to interview? Any topics you’d like to see discussed on future podcasts?