Jonathan Williamson is a man who needs no introduction, but he gets one anyway. He’s the co-owner of CG Cookie and is responsible for countless amazing modelling tutorials. He’s recognized as the modelling guy for Blender, and for very good reason: he’s really, really good at it.
As someone who’s not really a modelling guy, I had a lot of questions for him. And the Facebook community did as well.
Discussed in this podcast:
- Is knowing how to draw something essential for modelling?
- How new technology has recently changed the modelling workflow
- The importance of good ‘form’ in your model
- Some tricks for avoiding the horrible uncanny valley
- How Jonathan got started with Blender
- Will 3D scanning ever replace modelling?
- Artificial intelligence, and how it could possible replace artists
- How CG Cookie got started
- How to get started modelling characters
- Jonathan’s encounter with a dog-hating runner
- Video games and unwinding
- The Balmer Peak
- Jonathan’s beer brewing hobby
Plus! Stay till the end for Q&A from Twitter:
- Should Blender ditch the non-modal UI?
- Should you give up Blender if you get frustrated or easily distracted?
- Best pipeline for working on an animation with a large team?
Got a question for the next podcast? Use #bgpod on Twitter anytime in the next month. Best questions get featured!