Is it possible to make money with Blender? This episode explores 3 possible ways you can make money with Blender.
This week I saw the Korean directed film “Snowpiercer“. It’s a gritty, sci-fi film about the end of the world and it’s fantastic.
Here’s the trailer:
The film is amazing, and is likely to be huge when it finally get’s released in America (currently the producers are haggling over the length of the film). Go see it when you can!
Making Money with Blender – My (unorthodox) Story
I started using Blender in high school, and despite my fascination with it, I graduated with terrible grades and stood no chance of getting into uni or a good job. So I took whatever work I could, which mainly consisted of lifting heavy boxes on construction sites, sorting frozen fish, cleaning out portaloos etc. The pinnacle of my career was driving a forklift straight into a brand new ladder as my manager watched in horror.
My dad convinced me to join the Australia Army Reserves (probably in the hopes that they’d make a man out of me). But I was a pretty terrible soldier too. At boot camp I kept daydreaming about how I could make certain things in blender (no joke), and as a result was constantly chewed out for not listening.
After boot camp I got a job as a debt collector, but I started to take Blender a bit more seriously. I realized that it was just about the only thing I was truly passionate about and I decided right then and there to attempt some sort of career with it. So I started up Blender Guru, in the hopes of getting some freelancing gigs.
I would go to work during the day, and at night time come home and record tutorials.
Coincidentally, it was around this time that I fell in love with a Korean girl who soon had to fly back home.
So as a last ditch attempt to make money from Blender, I wrote an eBook in the hopes of being able to quit my day job and fly to Korea to see her.
Much to my surprise (and probably my parents) the book made about $48K in it’s opening month. So I quit my job and have been running Blender Guru full time ever since.
Also, I married that girl last year
So that’s my very unorthodox route to making money with Blender.
Here’s 3 more realistic routes:
3 Possible Ways to Make Money with Blender
Get hired to create animations or stills for companies. Usually adverts.
- Working in the industry
- Pushes you to learn new things
- Looks good on resume, can lead to better things
- Work is often boring and uninspiring
- Very saturated market, hard to get noticed
2. SELL MODELS
Create models for sites like Turbosquid.
- Passive Income
- You’re your own boss
- Very lucrative once ball is rolling
“I can confirm that some members make in excess of $50K/year at TurboSquid. At least a few of them are single persons working alone, while others are teams. They all have more than 500 models for sale at TurboSquid, and many of their models are in the $100+ or $200+ price range.” -Source
- Slow start
- Saturated market
- Gotta be good
- Check out the site’s top models to see what the market craves (is it cars, trees, people or something else?).
- Make notes on how each model is presented.
- Start making your own models that fit what the market wants.
- Focus on quality over quantity.
- Be patient. Money will barely trickle in at the start, but will snowball over time. It’s likely you won’t be able to replace your income until you’ve been doing this for 2-3+ years.
3. WORK FOR A COMPANY
Work for an animation studio, advertising firm or a company that pays you regularly to do work.
- Working in the industry
- Paid to hone your skills
- Hardest avenue to break into
- May not be what you enjoy
- Be a better artist than the 99%
- Create a killer website with a stunning portfolio
- Make it easy for them to contact you
- Check for job availabilities online
- Post your artwork in the places that your potential employer is going to
Whilst we’re on the topic on money, Blender Guru is expanding to include an eStore! I want to fill it with stuff that you actually want, so if you can spare a minute, please help me out by completing this quick survey:
Know of any other ways to make money in Blender? Post it in the comments below!