These short films are unique because every single file, texture, model, video or asset, can be downloaded by anyone and used completely free!
So far the blender community has done a few funky things with them, but I’m hoping for more…
The Theme: Open Movie Remix
You may use as many or as little number of elements as you want, just do something creative with them!
Taking a clip from Tears of Steel but replacing the robot with a dragon.
Using one character in a completely new scene created by yourself (like I did with Sintel).
(these are just examples though, feel free to do whatever you wish)
For the first time ever there will be two categories… stills and animations! To avoid cross over, you may enter into one category only.
1st Prize – Animation
- $250 donated to a charity of your choice
- Any item from the Blender eShop
- A permanent spot in the Winners Hall of Fame
1st Prize – Image
- Only one entry per person
- It must be created with Blender
- It must contain at least one element from the open movies
- You may render it using Cycles or the blender internal renderer only
- Minor post processing in Gimp or Photoshop is allowed
- Minimum image size is 1280 x 720, but the bigger the better (any aspect ratio is fine)
- Minimum video size is HD 720P (1280 x 720)
- Your entry must be a new creation, not something you have made in the past
- No bought commercial models allowed
- Photographic elements are allowed, but must not be a central part of the image (sky backgrounds are okay)
- The winner will be asked to submit the .blend file for proof of its creation
Download the Open Movie Assets
- Elephants Dream
- Big Buck Bunny - Buy the DVD
- Sintel – Buy the DVD - Sintel model (cycles)
- Tears of Steel – Buy the DVD - Robot model
Criteria for Judging
Entries will be judged by me on the following criteria:
To increase your chances of winning, aim for all three.
“The best art has meaning beyond just an image; perhaps it will bring you to tears, make you laugh, or remind you of something you’d almost forgotten. It stands out in a crowd, and dares to be different.” - Source
6 Reasons to Enter:
- Competitions push you to better your work by exploring new themes
- It teaches you the importance of deadlines
- It can help you to think creatively by working around the constraints of a set theme
- Competing alongside other artists is a great way to stay motivated
- Your entry will be posted here on Blender Guru, increasing your online exposure
- You’re helping the world! This is a rare opportunity to use your artistic talent to donate money to a charity of your choice.
Submissions and Deadline
Entries must be submitted before 29th of November 2012 at 11:59pm GMT (5 weeks from announcement).Submit Your Entry Here